Basement remodeling: Have you thought about it? If you’re interested in increasing the usable living area of your home, you’ve probably at least vaguely entertained the notion. Maybe you’ve even thought about it quite seriously.
And if, by chance, you haven’t given any thought to the possibility of remodeling your basement, maybe you should. Because homeowners stand to gain lots of benefits from basement remodeling.
Here are 11 great reasons to finish your basement:
1. VALUE – According to the annual Cost vs. Value Report released by Remodeling Magazine, no other project designed to increase livable space is cheaper. That’s because adding a room of any size requires building a structure of foundation, walls and roof. But the basic structure of a basement, of course, is already in place. That’s why basement remodeling offers the best value per square foot in comparison with all other space-increasing projects.
2. FLEXIBILITY – Unlike your main level, where often you only have a limited floor plan or colors to choose from, the design of your basement is completely up to you. Perhaps you have considered some changes you “would have” made to your home – now implement those ideas downstairs!
3. RESALE – A high demand for homes locally with lots of space for big families has made finished basements very marketable. Many basement finishing clients have seen a return on investment of over 150%.
4. SPACE – Adding another room of any kind to your house will certainly give you a bit more elbowroom. But not much more than a “bit.” Remodeling your basement, though, will add lots of livable space to your home. That’s because basements typically are very large areas. On average, a basement remodel will increase your living space by about a third. And some basement remodeling projects nearly double a home’s livable space.
5. FAMILY – Whether accommodating them for a meal or a month (or more), many of our clients ask us to make room for their extended family. With a separate bathroom, bedroom, living room, and kitchen, having Kevin, Kerri, and the kids stay over can be much more enjoyable with a finished basement.
6. ENTERTAINMENT – From simple TV rooms to luxurious rooms with a big screen, surround sound, and tiered seating, the basement is where many people choose to hang out. Pool tables, game rooms, and lots of space also contribute to make this area popular for parties.
7. INCOME – Basement apartments are a great way to add extra income and resale value. Many basements rent at 75% of the cost of your monthly mortgage, quickly offsetting the upfront cost of finishing the space.
8. ORDER – Most people don’t use their unfinished basement space very effectively. Are there boxes scattered all over your floor? A finished basement provides storage, shelving, and general organization. Now you don’t have to go through dark, dusty, cobweb-filled spaces to get what you need!
9. COMFORT – A basement can become the most easily heated, the most easily cooled, the most comfortable living space in your entire house. This may be hard to believe if your basement is currently a dank, dark and damp pit of dreariness. But if the job is done right using the proper materials, the natural insulating and sound-dampening properties of your below-ground-level basement can indeed contribute to it becoming the most pleasant place in your home
10. COST – Because of the high demand for limited resources, basement-material prices are rapidly increasing. This is especially true in this fast-growing area. Don’t wait for prices to get higher – finish your basement today.
11. $1K FREE UPGRADES – When you trust Gemini to complete your basement remodel, we offer your first $1,000 in upgrades for free. Some conditions do apply; ask your Gemini rep. There’s no better time to finish your basement right now while benefitting from some free upgrades!